Old September 28th 04, 04:35 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Doug Huffman" wrote:

"Richard Tack" wrote in message
news:WN96d.4143$2t5.1174@trnddc07...
"Michelin unwrapped an early prototype of an airless tire, a product that
could change the face of an industry it helped found. With a maximum safe
speed of 170 miles per hour, the prototype performs similarly to
inflatable tires — with important differences.

Note that a wide variety of cars, especially those with no good place to
put a spare tire (Chevrolet Corvette) use run-flat tires now. The
run-flats have very stiff sidewalls, and are usually rated for reduced
speed and short distances (the relatively CYA 55 mph and 50 miles are
typical) while uninflated. Not sure how the deflated tire is retained on
the rim.

The tire is made from 115 rings of tough resin laced with glass fiber and
remains roadworthy even when shot with a rifle. Tests show it will outlast
the average car, Laurent said, leaving just the outer treads to be
replaced periodically. No date has yet been set for its commercial
launch."

Retreads are not a new concept; big truck tires are routinely re-capped.
I don't know exactly why car tires are generally not retreaded, though I
have some speculative guesses.

http://snipurl.com/9dwx

I found Michelin's press release, which shows a small picture, two other
tire concepts, gives some structural details, and notes this concept is
suitable for two-wheeled vehicles as well, which surprises me:

http://tinyurl.com/4ydsu

Will we see them on the road before the two hundred mpg carburetor.

The 200 mpg carburetor exists. You can find them attached to 50 cc
scooters. I was going to make a snarky comment about how the popularity
of scooters indicates how much people really care about fuel economy,
but at least in Canada, scooters are hot sellers. BC also has a a
growing (though not booming) market for electric bicycles, as the rules
were relaxed to allow electric bicycles with a maximum assisted
level-ground speed of 32 km/h to be ridden on the roads without a
license or insurance.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.