Old September 28th 04, 09:36 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote: (clip)I don't know exactly why car tires are
generally not retreaded, (clip)
It used to be very common to recap car tires also. I was told be a local
recapper that the manufacturers save a little bit on the cost of a new tire
by using rubber that does not bond well to the new tread, and that is why
it's no longer done.

We had a recapper here in the SF East Bay who provided recaps all the sports
car and performance car buffs. I even heard of people who liked his work so
much they would buy new tires, and then have him grind off the treads and
recap them.