Old April 22nd 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Spring Upgrade

Dane Buson wrote:
Stephen Harding wrote:

-- Fourth layer of Cinelli tan cork tape. I think the bars
are now a thick as I ever would want to have them, and
perhaps a bit too thick. We'll see.

Err, I don't suppose you'd like to supply a picture? That seems like a
*lot* of tape.

Yeah I'll try and get a picture up on the web today. So far,
it feels OK, but I don't think I'll go any thicker.

-- 37 mm Conti "Contact" tires front and rear replacing my
old 32 mm Conti TT. I'm going to do the Nebraska Badlands
this summer along with part of RAGBRAI and decided it was
time to fatten up the tires. Ride is definitely a bit
smoother.

I'm mainly using Schwalbe Marathon Pluses these days. The ride is
good, but they are heavy as hell. OTOH, I've been riding them for
months and zero punctures, so they're worth it IMO.

I've heard good things about the Schwalbes as well, albeit rather
pricey.

If these Conti Contacts don't perform to my standards, I think the
Schwalbe will be my next test.

The weight doesn't really matter on this particular bike. It weighs
in around 35-40 pounds in normal commute mode.

SMH