Old July 29th 04, 09:35 PM
Glm

Default Bicyclists going wrong way and other crimes

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" wrote in message
om...
Was making a right a few days back and looked to my left and saw it
was clear so started making the turn. And theres a cyclist 20 feet
away coming right towards me hugging the curb on his left side of the
road. Didn't hit him but certainly could have. [...]

I have just started riding in the US (originally from England where we ride
on the right (sic) side of the road)!

It amazes me, in Manhattan, how many delivery boys ride bikes up the wrong
side of the road; no regard whatsoever for traffic lights or the flow of
vehicles. I managed to avoid being mangled as a pedestrian; not sure how
much success I shall have as a cyclist.

Central Park is even more fun. We have 'Sunday drivers' in England, but it
seems that the Park has spawned the two-wheel equivalent over here. On many
occasions I have been riding around, only to encounter a couple (usually
late thirties but groping each other like recalcitrant teenagers) happily
careening around the whole road and against the traffic. Combined speed of
impact would probably be around 40mph.

The one advantage is that they invariably are NOT looking where they are
going, which means we don't play hopscotch trying to avoid each other as our
paths cross. I just cycle out to the right (the track is counter-clockwise
with cars to one's right) and they pass by, oblivious in their
libido-infused ecstasy.

Still, I have in previous lives parted company with both bikes and
motorbikes and it hurts like hell, even at 15mph. Someone should encourage
these people at least to be aware that there is likely to be oncoming
traffic.

And then we have rollerbladers...

Glm