Old December 30th 11, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith[_8_]

Default Double Tubing Update

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:26:07 -0800, Simon Mason couldnae haud thur wheesht
ony mair an' gied us this:

On Dec 30, 4:54Â*am, Bret Cahill wrote:
It had turned into a great day. Â*After about 55 miles into my 95 mi.
trip I had a slight wind pushing me along and I was going to make
some time. Â*The asphalt had buckled against the expansion joints but
no need to slow down or swerve. Â*I was double tubed.

The first bad bump was about 5" above the bridge deck. Â*The front
wheel came down not quiet properly aligned with the direction of
motion and the water bottle flew out. Â*I recovered the water bottle
and quickly resumed riding in the same fashion. Â*A mile later the
same happened again except with a softer bounce. Â*The water bottle
stayed put. Â*The front tire was definitely softer than when I started
out. Â*I thought, finally an opportunity to ride on one tube but it
quickly became clear that _both_ tubes had pinch flat punctures.

This brought up one advantage of double tubing. Â*If the innertube
rubber is pretty thick and if you shift as much weight as possible to
the back wheel, you can more or less ride on the flat tire for short
distances.

I'll check to see if the punctures on each tube are side by side
indicating that both pinch flats happened on the same bump.

If not then the usage other cyclists have been recommending may hold.
Once one tube goes down then inflate the other tube, at least on
longer trips.

Two punctures lined up, side by side, but a shard of glass still in the
tire indicated it wasn't a pinch flat over one bad bump. Â*It wouldn't
have been a likely scenario for me to get the glass out before the 2nd
tube went down.

What's really curious is the 2 tubes only leak in two places each after
33 miles of rim riding.

Bret Cahill- Hide quoted text -

Get some Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.
Pump up to 120 psi.
The end.

On 2 separate occasions, I recently cycled home about 8 miles each time
on a flat Marathon Plus tyre. It felt ok (back wheel) as long as I didn't
sit down passing over rough sections. Decided it would be quicker to ride
slowly, than stop to fix the puncture, as the tyres are such a tight fit
on my rims, this would be a c.half-hour job (in miserably cold rain).

As it turned out, the punctures were caused by bad rim tape, rather than
the tyre itself, so M+'s are still wonderful, even when deliberately run
flat. :-)

--
Perpetual Calendar - http://www.1r5.net
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/1r5.net