Old December 1st 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

Default Police pick on cyclist

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:06:01 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

I see that the police have picked on another cyclist in Edinburgh
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Cyclist-fined-after-three-hours.4747444.jp.

If the report is true then the cyclist had working lights on his
bike, though they may have been dim. Thus he was not committing an
offence and the police had no grounds to ask him for his name and
address. Thus the arrest was illegal, just like the fixed penalty
notice.

I wonder why he accepted the fixed penalty charge?

Perhaps because he realised he had committed an offence.

Do you really think he was not committing an offence - because the
lights were only dim? Or is it perhaps you who is?

I suggest that you or Anchor Lee get in touch asap to offer him the
benefit of your fine legal minds.

--
Commenting on a legal gate in a public park: I'd think it comes under
the heading of "causing an obstruction", and should be investigated by