Old January 17th 21, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 14:54:51 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

My mother's name was Herz which is nothing more than one of the many
spelling variations of Hertz, Hertzl , Herzle etc. which was the
Austrian Royal Family.

The name variations seem to be correct,
https://www.houseofnames.com/herz-family-crest
but I couldn't find any connection with Austria:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_nobility
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_untitled_nobility_of_Austria-Hungary
For nobility, Herz seems to be more German than Austrian. However,
there are people and companies in Austria with the name Herz:
https://www.google.com/search?q=herz+austria
https://herz-armaturen.at/page.php?cID=12&lng=eng

What isn't a matter of discussion is that Moses spoke Aramaic
even if he could understand Hebrew. He also spoke and understood
middle Egyptian and Median.

Ok, I won't discuss it, even though there are errors. Please let me
know when it becomes an acceptable topic of discussion.

Moses received not just the Ten Commandments but the Torah
or "law"

Nope. Moses is commonly shown carrying two tablets containing a total
of 10 commandments down the mountain. In reality, there were quite a
few more laws:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_given_to_Moses_at_Sinai
By about 300 AD, the initial collection expanded 613 commandments:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments
and eventually expanded into the Talmud. The Talmud was mostly
inscribed while the entire Jewish population was vacationing in
Babylonia, by scholars who thought it might be a good idea to inscribe
the oral history and update the laws before everyone assimilated into
Babylonian culture. To do this, the Talmud had to be written in a
script and language that was generally understandable. So, they used
Hebrew characters to represent Aramaic words:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Babylonian_Aramaic

We have that until today.

Does that mean we no longer have all that today? What happened today
to make it all disappear?

The Talmud is a scholarly interpretation of the Torah and
the prophesies of Moses.

It does that, but also includes all kinds of strange stuff. Here's a
typical page from the Talmud:
https://people.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/TalmudPage.html
The section in the middle is the original text from the Torah. The
sections surrounding the original text is rabbinical commentary and
margin notes. Drag the mouse around the page and a rectangular box
will appear with a suitable description. Click and a page will appear
expounding on its history and purpose in excruciating detail.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272