Old November 8th 08, 07:59 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

Default Wendy's new recumbent cycle

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:12:29 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam Chalo
wrote:

!Jones wrote:

Well, it was a long wait; however, Wendy *loves* her new wheel. *She's
built by Lightfoot Cycles near Missoula, Montana. *Wendy is balance...
err... is "challenged" still PC? *(She tends to fall frequently) thus
we needed a tricycle with a low center of gravity.

I posted some pictures at:http://picasaweb.google.com/ra15932556/Trixy#

That's an appealingly substantial trike.

It's amusing and fortunate that though recumbent bikes and upright
trikes both have serious intrinsic handling problems, the recumbent
layout makes a much better trike, and three wheels make a much better
'bent. I have four three-wheelers: a work trike, a sidecar, an ill-
advised tilting thing, and a giant Big Wheel (which is, of course,
recumbent). The Big Wheel is the only one that could be called sure-
footed.

Chalo

This one seems well mannered; although, it's built for a small person
and I'm 6'5", so I'm on the sidelines. The location of the rider's
mass seems about right... it's what she likes, anyway, and that's the
acid test.

I think that, if I were Rod Miner at Lightfoot, I'd look at an
eccentric BB and a European-style chain case with an oil bath. He
could drop a wide ratio three or five-speed into the jack shaft pretty
easily. They could also easily raise the steering linkage to where it
didn't bottom out in a moderate right turn... I'm on a lathe Monday
morning doing that. Nonsense! I'll hand the drawing to one of our
machine shop students and pick it up in a week or two.

But... I'm generally a fan of Lightfoot. They build a good product;
it's well engineered and finely built, if somewhat expensive.

Jones