Old May 31st 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default More from the UK: "Bike lanes save lives of drivers as well as cyclists, study finds"

On Thu, 30 May 2019 08:48:22 -0700, sms
wrote:

Well actually it's from the U.S., reported in the UK.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bike-lane-cycling-road-safety-driver-deaths-fatalities-a8934841.html

"With added bike lanes, fatal crash rates dropped in Seattle (by 61 per
cent), San Francisco (by 49 per cent), Denver (by 40 per cent) and
Chicago (by 38 per cent)."

Cue the "Danger Danger" people to dispute the study. Maybe it wasn't the
bike lanes at all, maybe it was more people wearing helmets--wait that
couldn't be. Maybe it was more disc brakes. Maybe it was risk
compensation. Did gardening injuries go up or down?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...488?via%3Dihub

The full title of that study seems to be " Why cities with high
bicycling rates are safer for all road users. Wesley E. Marshall,
Nicholas N. Ferenchak. Journal of Transport & Health, 2019.
and an abstract of the study states:

Despite bicycling being considered ten times more dangerous than
driving, the evidence suggests that high-bicycling-mode-share cities
are not only safer for bicyclists but for all road users. We look to
understand what makes these cities safer. Are the safety differences
related to "safety-in-numbers" of bicyclists, or can they be better
explained by built environment differences or the people that inhabit
them?

Results
The results suggest that more bicyclists is not the reason these
cities are safer for all road users. Better safety outcomes are
instead associated with a greater prevalence of bike facilities -
particularly protected and separated bike facilities - at the block
group level and, more strongly so, across the overall city. Higher
intersection density, which typically corresponds to more compact and
lower-speed built environments, was strongly associated with better
road safety outcomes for all road users. The variables representing
gentrification also accounted for much of our explainable variation in
safety outcomes.

Conclusions
This paper provides an evidence-based approach to building safer
cities. While the policy implications of this work point to protected
and separated bike infrastructure as part of the solution, we need to
keep in mind that these approaches are complementary and should not be
considered in isolation. Moreover, our results - particularly the
safety disparities associated with gentrification - suggest equity
issues and the need for future research.
--

Cheers,

John B.