Old May 31st 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default More from the UK: "Bike lanes save lives of drivers as well ascyclists, study finds"

On 5/30/2019 4:00 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip

Results
The results suggest that more bicyclists is not the reason these
cities are safer for all road users. Better safety outcomes are
instead associated with a greater prevalence of bike facilities -
particularly protected and separated bike facilities - at the block
group level and, more strongly so, across the overall city. Higher
intersection density, which typically corresponds to more compact and
lower-speed built environments, was strongly associated with better
road safety outcomes for all road users. The variables representing
gentrification also accounted for much of our explainable variation in
safety outcomes.

As we saw with what happened in Columbus, bicycle facilities increase
ridership, even when they are poorly designed.

When you combine the higher numbers of cyclists drawn to ride because of
bicycle facilities, with actual well-designed bicycle facilities, it
gives you the best of both worlds--more cyclists and less injuries.

Remember, cities are trying to get the people that are reluctant to ride
a bike out there. The people that will ride a bike whether or not their
are protected bike lanes are not their target market for bicycle
infrastructure.