Old June 21st 19, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Ceramic drive chain

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 10:38:01 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/20/2019 1:31 PM, Chalo wrote:
When I first saw this nonsense a few months ago, I recognized that their little strainer basket cassette thing would never be able to tolerate the side loads resulting from a person pedaling for propulsion. Building the cassette, bearings, and drive shaft rigid and strong enough to do the implied job would make the weight of the system uncompetitive with existing solutions.

Agreed. Which is why I contrasted it with closed-case bevel
gears. This is not that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Strictly for the sake of argument, enclosing the bevel gear system pictured, as something nearer a full enclosure rather than an "oil bath", need not necessarily add too much weight. However, I have experience of an over-light near-full enclosure system called the Country, a proprietary chaincase available on Utopia-Velo's bikes, which impressed me at first but which soon in even my unchallenging use started casting off pieces. My full experience with it (and other chain cases and chain enclosures) is described at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2233
and read or scroll down to the message that starts "I shall have to eat a bit of humble pie here."

Andre Jute
To many components suitable only for racers are sold to recreational cyclists