Old May 8th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris

Default How much should one spend on a bicycle?

Ablang wrote:
I know that a lot of details would factor into this, but I am
wondering what bicycle enthusiasts consider when buying a new (or
used) bike?

I guess I don't want to underspend and end up w/ a piece of cra*, but
I also don't want to overspend and risk having it get stolen.

I would like to use it for daily exercise and going to the store (not
more than 10 miles one way).

That's a tough question to answer without knowing more about you and
how much riding you would do.

Would the daily exercise rides be 5 miles or 30 miles? Will you be
riding in urban, suburban, or rural areas? Flat, hilly, or rolling
terrain? On paved roads only, or occasional dirt paths?

If you're just getting into riding, you might do well with a "hybrid"
bike like this:
http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.c...gId=39&id=8943

A used bike might save you some money, but if you're not bike savvy
you might get an inappropriate bike, or one that needs work. Avoid
department store bikes like the plague. A good bike shop will help you
choose the right bike in the right size, and will set it up properly
for you.

Remember, riding for exercise might not be fun. But riding for fun can
be great exercise! Local bike clubs might have information on good
cycling routes in your area. Try to develop a variety of scenic routes
and destinations to keep it interesting.

Good luck,
Art Harris