Old August 22nd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default 3ft passing requirement revisited

It didn't blast its horn. It didn't swerve. It simply didn't deviate
from its course. And it passed each of us by maybe, what, 6 inches?
Could have even been a bit less. It was RIGHT THERE.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/6.1.html

Jobst Brandt

I'm missing the point. Don't get me wrong; I generally agree with what's in
the FAQ. But why did you reference it?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I've wondered whether cyclists really need a law that requires cars
to pass us no closer than 3 feet. I generally don't have too many
issues out on the road, and it would seem that common sense and
courtesy go a long way towards making the world a reasonable place
to drive and bike.

Until today.

I didn't even really know what happened until I played it back in
mind mind immediately afterward. Karl, Kevin and I were on the
return leg of our usual Tuesday/Thursday morning ride, heading north
on 84 in Woodside, approaching Tripp Road. We were not only single
file, but single file on the very edge of the road... I mean riding
in tight formation, with maybe just a couple inches (really) of
pavement to the right of our wheels. If there was a "good citizen"
award for cyclists sharing the road, we would have gotten it. No
reason for us to impede cars if we don't have to (the shoulder's in
pretty good shape there, and being the first day of school for many,
there was more traffic than usual).

And then the black SUV went past us.