Old August 29th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy M-S

Default dropbar sleeve installation

Keiron wrote:
' bit of a pedantic point/question but i'd obviously like it as neat as
possible. The instructions say soak in warm soapy water (or use compressed
air, hmmmm, yeees). What kinda of soap to use? I don't want suds/soap slime
on my hands in the rain or when sweaty. Also, how's best to get the soap out
of the foam afterwards? I installed some lizard skin brake lever
sleeves/grips in the same fashion before but they went hard and crusty, how
do i avoid this?

thanks

I take it you're installing Grab-ons, or something similar. I prefer
cork tape these days, but back in the '70s the standard method was
hairspray. Spray the inside of the foam tube liberally, slide it into
place. While wet, the hairspray acts as a lube...then it sets up as a
glue when it dries.

A couple of LBS I know of actually keep a can of hairspray on the
counter for these and MTB grips.