Old August 29th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron

Default dropbar sleeve installation

JeffWills wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy M-S wrote:
I prefer
cork tape these days, but back in the '70s the standard method was
hairspray. Spray the inside of the foam tube liberally, slide it into
place. While wet, the hairspray acts as a lube...then it sets up as a
glue when it dries.

A couple of LBS I know of actually keep a can of hairspray on the
counter for these and MTB grips.

Yep. Head for the nearest hair salon and dig through the bargain bin
for the "Extra Hold" variety. It can take a number of hours for the
hairspray to set up, particularly if you're too liberal with it. I've
had to pull the grips off and then slide them back on to squeegee the
excess off.

Thanks chaps. proved sucessul which, although having heard this before, was
sure the hairspray would denature the rubber, seems fine tho, thanks.

I've had a 4 oz. bottle of "Extra Hold" in my workshop fo a couple
years. It works great- on grips. I don't have enough hair on my scalp
to warrant it otherwise.

HA! Just means you're more aerodynamic.

cheers