Old April 19th 17, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Mason Verdict ( a sober review )

On 19/04/2017 10:46, Peter Keller wrote:
On 19.04.2017 06:39, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/04/17 11:03, Peter Keller wrote:
On 18.04.2017 11:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/04/17 10:17, Peter Keller wrote:

The car hit the bicyclist on the driver's side. What was the
bicyclist doing so far away from the left side of the road?

I am often in this position when approaching a right turn. Is that
wrong?

Legally, no. However in times of reduced visibility it may be unwise.
I have an aversion to explaining that I am in the right from bed 13
of the Intensive Care Unit.

I will never suggest that blind faith is a substitute for judgement.

Great!

I quite often use a "hook turn" if i need
to turn right in heavy traffic. Cross the intersection on green on
the left, then stop in front of the cars on the left of the cross
road (they will have red), then when the lights turn green go
straight ahead.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
____________________o| |________________
--------------------!

^

^---
_____________________ | ________________
o| | |
| ^ |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| ^ |
| | |

That is certainly a possible bail out. There are other permutations,
depending on junction layout. But to understand why he was in the
position he was is not a difficult question.

Sure. It just shows that everyone using the roads, including bicyclists
and drivers, must be vigilant and considerate at all times

As I grow older, I find myself more and more attracted to that approach.

---
http://www.avg.com