Old December 15th 18, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default casette shifting, again

On 12/14/2018 11:34 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 20:17:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Rod brakes: you mean like this? [1] It is a Flying Pigeon, which I won't bother saving.

Shifting: more snow, still works. The new cable did it. Only I don't know why. Also I don't know if this cable needs lubing. Next time, will investigate closer.

[1]
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/...rear-brake.jpg

Sort of :-) When I lived in Japan all the bicycles had brakes similar
to that.

Actually they were pretty poor brakes mainly due to the design of the
brake arms and small brake pads but the linkage worked very well and
didn't stretch. Another problem was that the rims were chrome plated
steel which was pretty slippery.

For braking, pad size is a minor factor. It's all swept
area, CF and leverage. You're right that linkage is
efficient but the leverage is minimal and rubber on chromed
steel has a low CF, made worse by dried hard pads.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/