Old May 18th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Default MA3 rim worn out joy

Clive George wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a
couple of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of
the replacement here

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/O...rt.323975.aspx

(different name, same basic section).

What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of
the brake track first, so a gap appeared there.

Do you do a lot of rear braking? Or was the wheel of some
considerable age? Any rear wheels I've lost have been through spoke
fatigue or hub failure. I don't remember wearing out a rim.

Don't do a lot of braking. Rim is about 17000 miles old, year round use.
Might have had some harsh blocks on it at one point. They do seem to
wear out faster these days though.

(it's on the second hub (flange failure), but I think original spokes).

Fair enough. I'd think 17k miles is a decent turn for a modern alloy
rim. Our old steel rims seemed to last forever, but then they tended to
slide sedately between the brake blocks even at white-knuckle grip on
the lever!

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk