Old September 9th 03, 01:29 AM
Klaas Bil

Default A big day with a big unicycle

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 23:14:57 -0500, showard
wrote:

I've ridden this trail many times on
both the 24 x 3.0 Gaz and 29" MUni's but the ride that the Big Apple
gave was super plush! I rolled over rocks with ease that are a
challenge on my 29'er with WTB Motoraptor. I was amazed at how smooth
and easy that thing rolled!

The geared hub uni felt great off road - just like my regular 29'er only
better because of the Big Apple. The extra 5 pounds of hub wasn't
anything I noticed. I rode smoothly through rocks and was able to lower
my cadence and ride farther between rest stops because the Big Apple
just seemed to roll through the "dead spots" in my pedal stroke.

This little bit of down hill into the gully was the first
indication that something wasn't right.

the climb up the road was the best
I've done yet because of the smooth rolling Big Apple.

I started down the smooth dirt trail that's about 14" wide and
worn 6" - 8" deep in the center but something was very wrong: I couldn't
seem to ride straight down the trail!

Within 1/2 mile of my truck the trail flattens out and I was
able to ride that ok.

I've extracted your references to the Big Apple and the trail
characteristics. Clearly the tyre does a great job uphill, an OK job
on the flat and it is terrible on the downhills. What would cause
that? Is jagur on the right track with his rim width remark? But then
why would that affect the downhills more?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank