Old May 21st 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default "Thinking of Buying a Bike? Get Ready for a Very Long Wait,The United States is facing a shortage of bicycles as anxiety over public transportation and a desire to exercise has sent the demand surging"

On Wed, 20 May 2020 10:01:46 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/19/2020 6:47 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

We were at Makro yesterday and a nice 7 speed bike with disc brakes
was 3,400 baht about US$ 106.25. Painted orange too, which is almost
as fast a bike as a red one :-)

Hmm, how much to ship 100 of them to the U.S.?

Well the Bikes originated in China and shipping a 20 ft container from
Shanghai to San Diego seems to be quoted at $1,620 today.

Another site mentions shipping 480 bikes in one 40 ft. container so
half of that would be 240 bikes in a 20 ft. or in the neighborhood of
$6.75 shipping cost from Shanghai to San Diego.

Disregarding shipping cost from Shanghai to Bangkok, we are looking at
about $113.00 for a nice orange bicycle. With Disc Brakes!
--
cheers,

John B.