Old May 25th 04, 09:00 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/realmedia/news/tvnews.ram

I was looking for that, I knew it must be there somewhere!

Steve

Having viewed the report - the lane is similar to one in Norwich, which has
been around for quite a time now. On this bit of road between two roundabouts
here...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...sv=622250,3082
50&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf &dn=707

or

http://tinyurl.com/26g29

I've never cycled on it, but I remember the first time I saw it when I was in
the car and thinking, "What a bloody stupid place to put a narrow cycle lane,
between two relatively narrow lanes of traffic who can both undertake you and
overtake you."

If I were to cycle that stretch of tarmac I would *not* be using it, which
would no doubt be leading to the usual derisory comments from motorists :-(

I honestly believe no traffic engineer should be allowed anywhere near
designing cycle facilities until he or she has used a pedal cycle as their
*only* form of transport for a minimum of a year, in all weathers... and then
they should have to spend at least six months of the year where the bike is
their only form of transport...

Cheers, helen s

**$om $