Old April 28th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default OT More Pentagon lies and mismanagement

On Apr 27, 7:14 pm, Bill C wrote:
On Apr 26, 5:29 pm, Curtis L. Russell wrote:

On 26 Apr 2007 12:10:20 -0700, Bill C wrote:

Even with everything, if I could, I'd

Man, that's a thought that never crosses my mind. If it did, I'd kill
it like a rat. Let's see:

Military (U.S.Army)
Slept in barracks with a bunch of guys
Sometimes got to work seven on, none off,12 hours a day, weeks and
even months on end
Went to work in the dark, a lot
OK, got to work in the dark, by the Army's intention
Top had such a great attitude about life, especially the portion still
living...
I had such a great attitude about life, living and dead
Traveled in the back of a truck, way too much
Why does putting peas in Jello make it its own food group?
And really, that was coffee?

Civilian
Sleep with my wife, occasionally visited by Scotties (the Australian
Shepherd was worse)
Rarely work over 50 hours a week, at least not by much. And have the
weekends off.
Generally go to work in daytime, although DC and Baltimore traffic
aren't especially fun
Pretty much no longer in the dark at work, which is a good thing when
you are both the controller and the HR manager
Boss has a suspiciously good attitude toward fellow human beings (OK,
unlike Top, he is easily identified as a fellow human being)
And I'm thinking much better about most human beings, although I make
exceptions
Mostly travel in the Prius, which is good because I'm not sure I'm
still able to navigate the back of the truck thing
Have recognized pretty much everything I've eaten and drank over the
last few years, and not once has my wife made Jello with suspicious
vegetable additives. We tried the Jello-vodka thing once and it is
nothing like peas or lettuce. A couple of suspicious looking beers and
wines, maybe...
Coffee isn't always perfect, but I've never left cleaner in the pot
before making the first pot of the morning.

Advantages, military:
Got to see the world, at least the part where some of their people
were trying to kill some of ours and vice versa. Universal health
care, including the doctor that misidentified which ankle was
sprained. Local idigenous women, followed by locally applied medicine
by injection (and this was when I was stationed at the Monterey
Presidio...). Reenlistment bonuses paid in cash while surrounded by
guys getting $ 67 a month (You got it, now get it home). And my very
own M16 with my name taped to the stock.

Nah, the only thing that would make me go back is the fact they have
the weapons and seem to be willing to use them damn near anywhere.
OTOH, I'm even more useless to the Army now than when I was 23. Which,
I guess, makes me promotable right back to SSG.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

This is an incredible country, no matter how you look at, and we owe
it a lot for the privileges it gives. Whether you give back at a
shelter or whatever we all owe it to ourselves to work for it.

Bill C- Hide quoted text -

We may not always be perfect, and lots of times it's a fight but the
general trend is towards freedom. By comparison with just about
anywhere we are more free and equal. These are examples why I'd stand
up and fight for our country, as cornball as my taqke might be to some
of the cynical ****heads that show up here occasionally:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6599437.stm
Quoted:

Under Sharia law, adopted in the state seven years ago, homosexuality
and same-sex marriages are outlawed and considered very serious
offences.
The theatre where the elaborate wedding celebration was held on
Sunday has been demolished by Kano city's authorities.

http://tinyurl.com/yuut99
Quoted:
CONCORD, N.H. - The Rev. V. Gene Robinson became the Episcopal
Church's first openly gay bishop. Now, he and his partner want to be
among the first gay couples in New Hampshire to officially unite under
a soon-to-be-signed civil unions law.

Quoted:

Actor Richard Gere has apologised for causing offence when he kissed
Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty.
The incident, at an AIDS awareness event in Delhi, prompted public
protests and then an arrest warrant for both stars over the "obscene
act".

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...miebabies.html
'It's been 3 years'
Parents who lost their children in the outbreak wonder why they were
kept in the dark.
"It's been three years, and in our mind, our little girl died of a
heart attack," said Edwine Jacques, who gave birth to her daughter
Kaysha-Edwina in August 2004.
Last week, hospital officials contacted her and told her Kaysha-
Edwina had been infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa, the main cause
of her death.
So Jacques is left wondering why the hospital never came clean
with her daughter's medical condition.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Toron...30882-sun.html

He didn't want to be a fat man anymore.

Tipping the scales at more than 500 pounds on his 5-foot-10 frame,
Jamie Bogart was dying to be thin. But for years, the Ontario
government ignored his pleas for help in battling his morbid obesity,
turning down his requests for American treatment and leaving him to
fight his disease on his own.
At one desperate point in 1999, he told the Sun in a front page
story that without help, he was destined to eat himself to death.
Last week, his grim prediction came true.

Most of us take what we have for granted, find all the faults, glorify
everyone else. The grass is always greener somnewhere else in peoples
minds. The reality is something different. We get so focused on all
the negatives that we lose sight of the overwhelming positives.
I'm unashamedly patriotic and pro American. That also means I will
defend to the death my freedom, and others to criticise us. We are us,
the US, the government. You get what you vote for and allow to happen.
At least here noone sends tanks to slaughter those who object.
I'll show up to defend that last sentence if our government ever
chooses to go there, because that's what we are about as a nation.
We're about an idea and a 200+ year old document stating that idea. We
need to defend that from current, internal, threats warping patriotism
and pride as well as from outside threats.
We sure as hell aren't perfect, but we need to citizens to accept
their responsibility and fight for our freedoms against ALL enemies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._of_Allegiance

The United States Military Oath of Allegiance is a solemn oath taken
by members of the United States Armed Services on commissioning. It
differs slightly from that of the oath of enlistment that enlisted
members recite when they enter the service.
Text of the Oath
I, {insert name here}, do solemnly swear, (or affirm), that I will
support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all
enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and
allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without
any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and
faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to
enter. So help me God. (Note that the last sentence is not required to
be said if the speaker has a personal or moral objection

Enlisted Oath:

The oath of enlistment into the United States Armed Forces is
administered by any commissioned officer to any person enlisting or re-
enlisting for a term of service into any branch of the military. The
officer asks the person, or persons, to raise their right hand and
repeat the oath after him. The oath is traditionally performed in
front of the United States Flag and other flags, such as the state
flag, military branch flag, and unit guidon may be present.

The oath is as follows:

"I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will
support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all
enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and
allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the
President of the United States and the orders of the officers
appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of
Military Justice. So help me God.

I guess the sermon is over. I just wish that those who condemn
dissent, and those who slam the military would realise that we are
defending that piece of paper and what it means. The US was based in
dissent.
Bill C