Old July 10th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Jul 10, 9:27*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:55:03 -0700 (PDT), Scott

wrote:
On Jul 10, 8:29*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:11:38 -0700 (PDT), Scott

wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
Tour.

If you are talking about the Tour de France bike race, you might not
be surprised, but you're still wrong.

JT, how the hell do you know whether I'm wrong or not? *Do you really
know what every single rider is riding on every single stage? *Really,
c'mon...

I've been around racing enough and seen enough pictures and bikes to
know.

Really? No one is doubting that you've seen lots of bikes. I feel
pretty strongly, though, that you have NOT seen every bike ridden by
each rider in this year's TdF.

While I don't think it's necessarily happening this year, given the
long and storied history of riders having their favored frames re-
badged to look like the team's bike, it's certainly not outside the
realm of possiblity that someone is riding a steel frame.

On a slightly related note, I can tell you that there are plenty of
riders using carbon fiber bikes that were NOT made by their sponsor.
e.g. Gerolsteiner's TT bikes aren't not Specialized bikes, but the
decals sure read "Specialized".

Yeah, it's possible someone's on a steel bike. I doubt it, but I
wouldn't be surprised.