Old December 8th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

Default Training or Plain Riding?

On Dec 7, 4:08*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Bret Wade" wrote in message

m...

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Bret Wade" wrote in message
news:_sudnZISf9Ta0KbUnZ2dnUVZ_sTinZ2d@earthlink. com...

I didn't see where bad bearings fit into the original premise of stupid
light racing equipment anyway.

Did you possibly see where undersized bearings did? By the way, those
same size bearings are used in many wheels.

Your problem sounds like the bearings were just out of adjustment anyway
since you describe play as the main symptom. I can't see cartridge
bearings developing much play without coming out of adjustment.

If you don't understand why didn't you just ask instead of assuming
something stupid? There was FREEPLAY in the bearings from wear. It doesn't
take much and then the freehub started skipping.

And the fork failures described both involved crashes where operator
error was the root cause and a crash would have occurred whether the
fork failed or not.

Bret, when a fork leg breaks off you go face first into the street. If it
bends you generally are thrown off sideways. By all means tell me which
you would prefer.

I think the endo was unavoidable in both cases once the operator error
occurred. It might even have been worse without the benefit of a crumple
zone.

Why are you simply inventing a series of events when all you have to do is
look at the accidents that occur to cyclists to see that I was simply
reporting what happens and not inventing anything?

As for operator error - do you actually believe that you aren't going to
make the occasional error and if the equipment is designed properly it
will keep that error from becoming serious?

You're talking about the wheel here? You consider the wheel to be
improperly designed because it allowed you to stick your foot through the
spokes? You sound like a man with a lawsuit in mind. Which makes me wonder
which side Jobst would take as an expert witness.

Here's a clue - I have had several cases in which I could have sued someone
and didn't because unless there's a wildly inappropriate action on someone
else's part you shouldn't sue.

Again you simply invent actions instead of addressing reality. Is there a
reason for that?

Just stating my opinion. The only bearing failures I've experienced
were due to excessive drag. Several times I've had bearings develop
play because they came out of adjustment and I blamed the mechanic
(me) for that.

The fork failures you described we
1. Rider hits dog, leading to incident where fork breaks.
2. Rider inserts foot in front wheel leading to incident where fork
breaks.

Correct me if I have that wrong. My opinion is that any incident
serious enough to cause the fork to break would have caused a serious
crash anyway and that the fork failure was incidental rather than a
root cause of the injury sustained. That's not making things up.

My speculation about a lawsuit was unwarranted, but it is clear that
you like to blame others for your problems.

Bret