Old February 10th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: E oil

When I paused to get the crock pot out of the fridge and turn it on, I
had been dressing for forty-nine minutes, I hadn't combed my hair, and
still had a pair of sweat pants, oversocks, and three shirts to go.
Not to mention the hats and gloves. I'd better wear my mittens for
the first two legs of the ride.

Only the first leg, which was a great relief. I have split mittens --
nowadays they call them "lobster-claw gloves" -- that make operating
the bike perfectly easy, but feeling around in my pocket for a
handkerchief is a pain.

I shed my windbreaker at the end of the second leg, and as I began the
return trip, I reflected that my outer pair of sweatpants weren't
strictly necessary (I had three pairs of tights and another pair of
sweatpants on under them), but that was the precise time predicted for
the high temperature, they were not too warm, and shucking out of a
pair of pants beside the road isn't easy -- particularly since I would
have had to pin and tie the other pair of sweat pants and that isn't
honestly possible to do without sitting down -- the knee has to be
bent when the garter is tied.

That was much more clothing than I wore in New York, where it was a
warm winter day if I came back with icicles hanging from my fenders,
but all I put on my face today was Vitamin-E oil. In New York, I
coated it with petroleum jelly. And once I saw a perfect snowflake
stuck into the grease on my nose. Alas, I will never see that close
again.

The surgeon who takes off my cancers is very big on coating a healing
wound with Vitamin-E oil every day for months. Since he leaves
beautiful scars -- I walk up to people and say "Look at my new scar"
and they say "what scar?" even while it's still red -- I tend to take
him seriously. There was quite a lot left in the bottle when I was
done oiling my latest cancer -- an incision a quarter inch long
doesn't take much oil -- so I started putting it on all my old scars,
such as the two from flying over the handlebars when I was just
learning how to brake. (Oops, I forgot about the one on my back,
where the pin holding the clavicle was supposed to stick out, but the
clavicle turned out to be too thin for a pin, so I've still got a wire
in it.)

One morning as I was putting oil on my nose before a ride, I reflected
that E-oil dries into a sort of varnish before it vanishes, and put it
over my whole face. Seems to be adequate, but there wasn't any wind
today, and it really wasn't all that cold; the water in my bottles
never threatened to freeze. I believe the high was 27F.

Though the ride was only ten miles or so, I came back quite tired. I
suppose most of it was doing without my nap, but traipsing around in
Meijer for two and a half hours didn't rest me any.

Hmm . . . at night, sciatica feels exactly like sore muscles, only
more so. I wonder whether my Gabapentin will get confused and take
out that pain too?

Typed under the influence of bedtime.

--
Joy Beeson