Old November 4th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Default Vintage BSA bicycle

Hi,

Coaster wrote:
Bernhard Agthe wrote:
In fact - I have got such bicycle :-). It has Westwood style Alu rims

Just wondering, since at that time, steel rims were standard. Magura
brakes might or might not have been available then. Probably the bike is
a late-80ies or early-90ies model with an older hub?

(32 front 40 rear). It has also brakes with logo - part of toothed wheel
and text "Magura" next to it. I do not want to spoil anythiong - those
brakes they need some service - hose line is bent in two places and I do
not know if I can buy a hose like that.

The logo is still the same ;-)

Clean the brakes (levers, hoses and calipers) and press them hard
several times. Then check everything for leakage. If you can't find
leakage on the levers or cylinders, you're most likely fine, the hoses
can be exchanged. You'll need the hoses and various small parts
(available as a repair kit from Magura). You'll also need to refill
("bleed") the system after changing the hoses, so you might need the
"refill kit" - check their website or talk to your local dealer. The
manuals available on their website show the whole process quite clearly.

But not _those_ brakes - besides hydraulic hose istead of Bowden cable
and lever they work like classic brakes - squizze rim with rubber pads ;-)

Yes, *these* brakes ;-) They work by using hydraulic cylinders pressing
the pads against the rims while "classic bowdens" pull some lever with
attached brake pads against the rims ;-) The effect is the same, that's
right.

Pads look more or less like this:

[snip]

They still look like this on the latest models. But that's not fancy,
that's Magura ;-)

They are definitely not vintage - they're still being sold
with minor design changes only.

'Yours' are not but mine are...

Don't worry, they only changed the looks. The technology is still "state
of the art"...

I would agree with the "vintage" if you referred to the road-bike
versions with road levers and the nifty calipers which have been out of
production for many years...

Your request seems a bit confusing to me?

Why? I am aware about modern Magura brakes but when they started
production? I was serching the Web with no success...

Check out the other post - late 80ies? They definitely have not yet lost
any value ;-)

Have fun...