Old October 18th 16, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Halt!

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 21:30:24 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

The key, I think, is repeated lessons.

When I lived in The Capital District of New York, Martin Road, Picard
Road, and New Salem Road formed a triangle that would have been quite
nice to ride around, were it not for a dog that lived in a dip on
Picard Road.

When I got my first can of Halt, I went dog hunting. I came down the
hill at high speed, the dog ran out to attack, I sprayed and missed
but got past him and climbed the other hill. So I turned around and
repeated the whole sequence. The third time I passed, he didn't get
close enough that I could take a shot. I kept riding back and forth
through the dip, he kept attacking with less and less fervor. When I
passed by and he feebly lifted his head off his front paws and emitted
a dutiful "woof", I went home.

I never had any more trouble with that dog. I'd never sprayed him,
but he'd learned that chasing me was really, really *boring*.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net