Old February 27th 21, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Jail Zuckerberg

On 2/26/2021 7:12 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/26/2021 5:54 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:05:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/26/2021 1:36 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/26/2021 12:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

"The major failing of the social media is that
people with no
experience and no education believe that they have a
right to an opinion
as valid as those that do have experience and education."

Yes, they do indeed. You got a problem with that?

Of course everybody has a right to an opinion. But it's
nonsense to say
that all opinions are equally valid.

The astonishing fact here is that Tom routinely portrays
himself as
having "experience and education" leading to more
knowledge than anyone
else, whether he's talking about medicine, history,
theology, genetics,
physics, economics, politics, biology, engineering,
bicycles or brake
fluid.

All that despite dropping out of high school, getting no
post-secondary
education and being unable to hold any one job for more
than three years.

I think that perhaps the problem is the definition of
"opinion". After
all the dictionary has it that "opinion" is "a personal
belief or
judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty".

Based on that interpretation then all opinions are equal
in the sense
that "all men are created equal"

Sorry, I can't buy that. For one thing, Jefferson may have
written that all men are _created_ equal, in the sense of
their inherent rights. But I doubt he would have said that
all men have equal wisdom, knowledge, skill, etc.

And based on that, I doubt he would say all opinions are
equal. I believe there are opinions that ought to be judged
erroneous even if absolute disproof is still pending.

In fact, isn't the notion that "my" opinions are better
then "your"
opinions because I went to school, or I ride a bicycle, or
I'm a
Republican or I'm a Democrat just another way of saying
"Well, I'm
better than you because..."?

But I do believe that certain people are better than certain
other people. I'm too conservative to say that what you do
or don't do has no effect on your personal value.

Better in some ways perhaps, surely lesser in others. There
are a gazillion criteria for 'better'.

Yes, every man may have his own opinion while you are
similarly entitled to your opinion of him and his positions.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/