Old February 10th 21, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 5:02:31 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/9/2021 6:20 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
An article on fenders [AKA mudguards] from Bicycling, via Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/choo...221400152.html

I'm still bemused by the fact that so many American bicyclists won't
consider mounting fenders. And I'm bemused by some of the ineffective
little flaps of plastic that get sold, and bought, instead of true
fenders. I think the benefits greatly outweigh the detriments.

--
- Frank Krygowski

My full loaded touring bike has a full set of fenders. Plastic and a flap on the front fender. No flap on the back. But I should probably cut up a plastic laundry jug and make a flap for the back fender.

FWIW, I have a bunch of EPDM rubber sheet left over from a home
remodeling project. I now cut my flaps out of that, instead of plastic
jugs. It's ever so much classier. ;-)

I've used all sorts of things for flaps, but check this out:
tinyurl.com/4hvuba6h

$7 and free shipping to PDX. I bought a pair since I have the Cascadia fenders on one bike that doesn't have flaps yet. Planet Bike is in Madison -- maybe Andrew knows them.

Our "local" fender makers are Portland Design Works: https://ridepdw.com/collections/fenders They have some nice fenders, too, and add-on mudflaps (leather and rubber) and a mind-bending selection of mounting hardware. The PB are cheaper, but the good thing about the PDW plastic fenders is that you start with a more generous flap, and you don't have fender stay-ends poking out and getting hung up on stuff. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1553723764

-- Jay Beattie.