Old May 7th 06, 09:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Ten seater Oriten

"Terry Collins" wrote:
Skewer wrote:
Impressive but cans someone enlighten me on why the ramped cog sizes?
I just cannot get my heaed around the drive train configuration.

http://www.colcohist-gensoc.org/Images/TenSeaterOriten.jpg"TEN-SEATER
ORITEN

chain slip?
different cadences?
the stop harmonic build up? would have completely buggered the bike if
all 10 down stroked at the same time.

Looks like the paired chainrings are each the same size, but they have tried
to avoid having the same sized rings on each crank, hence the chainring
sizes gradually increase towards the rear.

Maybe they thought two chains running on the same sized chainring side by
side would rub and clash.

Or maybe it's a way to get that *huge* gear at the back without each rider
needing to pedal such a monster.

Probably best to reqard it just as a protype trying out an idea that was
demonstrated to be unsuccessful.

Now why on earth would ten muscle bound people pedalling through one chain,
suspended on two tyres, be unsuccessful? :-)

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@