Old January 16th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Really, really dumb

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 18:44:50 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/15/2020 5:51 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:10:27 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/15/2020 4:58 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Here in Canada we have all sorts of gun control laws but they don't seem to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals or soon to be criminals; they just keep or remove them from the hands of law abiding citizens.

Really? Your gun laws don't work?

Look at some comparative data:
https://www.nationmaster.com/country.../Violent-crime

No laws are perfect. But that doesn't mean laws are useless. It looks to
me like Canada's gun laws are doing a pretty good job - or at least, way
better than those of the U.S.

Yup, make a law and everyrthing will come up roses...

But Frank, if that is true why is it that Vermont, with it's nearly
non existant gun laws has a murder by firearms rate of 1.3/100,000
while Washing D.C. with rather restrictive gun laws has a firearm
murder rate of 18/100,000?

Gun violence is not a one-variable problem, John. Yes, that makes it
complicated. But that doesn't mean the problem shouldn't be addressed.

I am aware of that. But that has not been what you have been saying.
You have repeatedly advocated laws with the inference that if we could
only find the right law everything would be wonderful, wonderful.

I can only speculate on how well you understand the problem but so
far it appears to be simply one more of your whims like your argument
that bikes just must be capable of being fitted with 28mm tires.

From what I've read on this site regarding 28mm tires you want them
and you recommended them to some lady. The rest of the posters seems
quite happy with what they have.

So, would one say that it is a conspiracy of the advertising
fraternity to force us unlettered chaps to use skinny tires? Or pass
more laws?

Or is it simply Frank attempting to dictate his whims to the
multitude?
--
cheers,

John B.