Old July 16th 03, 06:46 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Problems after long ride

wrote in message ...
On Sunday I did 200 km on my bike, which is much more than ever
before.

Also I feel numbness in my fingers, weird
enough.

Is it your pinkie, and your ring finger? This is ulnar nerve
neuropathy (AKA Handlebar Palsy). I had problems with this last summer
when I was doing rides every week in the 75 - 200 mile range, on top
of the regular commuting.

My advice:
o Watch your hand/wrist/arm positioning. Have your wrists straight and
your arms bent. Do not lean on the tops of your bars with locked
elbows and bent wrists.

o Buy some gloves that are specifically made to deal with this
problem. I have the Trico "Handcuffs".

o Change your hand positions frequently.

Check out these websites:

General description of the condition:
http://www.cptips.com/handsyn.htm

Scroll to the bottom to see illustration of proper wrist positioning:
http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infohs/h...le/bicycle.htm

Illustration of stretches that can help:
http://www.cultv.com/music/rssi.htm

Hope you feel better!

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky )
Home of the meditative cyclist:
Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/
Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky