Old April 7th 07, 04:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Russell Lang

Default Biking perimeter of Australia (groceries and bikebox in Brisbane)

"BikeManiac" wrote in message
oups.com...
1. As written earlier I'm planning on biking the perimeter of
Australia but I need to know where I can get food. This means at what
time and in what areas. Mainly I was thinking of petrol stations with
a small shop. The reason for this question is, that I want to plan
ahead and avoid carrying food and water for very long distances.

What are the names of the major petrol stations in Australia (I need a
directory).

The major petrol chains are
Coles Express / Shell http://www.colesexpress.com.au/default.asp
BP
Caltex (Chevron / Texaco JV)
Esso (Exxon)
Mobil (Exxon)
Some petrol stations are owned by the chains, others are independent but buy their fuel from the
major suppliers.

The petrol stations tend not to have wide range of groceries.
Fine for buying chips and Tim Tams, frozen pies and a microwave, but not for fresh food.
Bigger cities tend to have 7-11.
http://www.7eleven.com.au/flash/index.html

Doen the east coast you shouldn't have a problem finding a suitable shop every 50km. Many towns
with a population 1000 would have a general store.
Crossing the Nullabor form Adelaide to Perth is a different story. Check guidebooks for the
interval there, but I guess it is 100 - 200km.