Old April 8th 07, 12:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Skewer

Default Biking perimeter of Australia (groceries and bikebox in Brisbane)

BikeManiac wrote:
Hi,

1. As written earlier I'm planning on biking the perimeter of
Australia but I need to know where I can get food. This means at what
time and in what areas. Mainly I was thinking of petrol stations with
a small shop. The reason for this question is, that I want to plan
ahead and avoid carrying food and water for very long distances.

What are the names of the major petrol stations in Australia (I need a
directory).

Any other suggestions?

2. When arriving at Brisbane Airport I will need to unpack my trike
from the bikebox. This bikebox is made out of thick corrugated
cardboard. Preferably I would like to store that box somewhere till I
come back again, hence not needing to fabricate a new box again (it
has weird dimensions and requires a lot of cutting, gluing etc). Is
there a place where I can store it or will I have to throw it out?

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Lucas
Have you signed up for the Warm Showers list?
http://www.warmshowers.org/

It's a way to find helpful people offering everything from accommodation
to long-term storage & support to touring cyclists.

There's about nine hosts registered around Inner Brisbane alone that may
be able to store your Bike box for free. http://www.warmshowers.org/map

Lots of other hosts scattered around Australia that would be quite happy
to help you out along the way for one or two nights if you are close by.
They would also be able to help out with those local knowledge issues.

Rgds
Pete

Pete.B