Old May 9th 09, 10:11 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Push bike

In rec.bicycles.misc John Kane wrote:
A push bike typically refers to bicyle (human powered). I was talking
to a sport shop owner the other day and said that I was in the shop to
look at the push bikes not the motorbikes.

It's not an expression that I see or hear used frequently and I was
wondering if anyone has an idea of the origins of the phrase?

I was recently in a situation where I found myself referred to as a
"pedal cyclist," and my bike as a "pedal cycle."
I can understand how some people might be confused by the word
"bike," since motorcyclists have stolen it from us. But to me "bicycle"
is a plain, unambiguous term.

Bill

__o | I used to think that I was cool, running around on fossil
fuel
_`\(,_ | Until I saw what I was doing was driving down the road to
ruin.
(_)/ (_) | - James Taylor