Old May 9th 09, 10:32 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
the Omrud

Default Push bike

wrote:
John Kane wrote:

A push bike typically refers to bicycle (human powered). I was
talking to a sport shop owner the other day and said that I was in
the shop to look at the push bikes not the motorbikes.

It's not an expression that I see or hear used frequently and I was
wondering if anyone has an idea of the origins of the phrase?

Push bike is a terribly British affectation.

"terribly"? "affectation"? Are the English not permitted a dialect of,
er, English?

In the USA, "bicycle"
has always meant a pedal driven two wheeled vehicle

As it has in BrE. We can just about manage when an object has two
slightly different names.

, just as in
German, it has always been a "Fahrrad", whereas in Italy it is a
"bicicletta" unambiguously. In Switzerland the term "Velo" is widely
used although, depending on which of their four languages is local, it
could be German, Italian, French, or Romansch usage.

Let's hear for The Mixtures. Oh, no, they were Australian, not terrible
British. Shome mishtake, Shirley?

--
David