Old August 6th 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Some bicycling is really expensive for parts

On 04/08/2018 8:24 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op site for tires and a cassette for a 700C hybrid that I'm tuning up for a friend. Whilst on the site I saw 26" tire for $240.00 CDN. Vee Tire Co Snowshoe XL Studded 26" Tire https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-2...ded-26%22-Tire Btw the tire is made in Thailand.

Then I saw a 12 speed cassette 10 -50 teeth for $611.00 CDN! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-7...Speed-Cassette

What gives with these prices? Car tires are not nearly that expensive and I bet motorcycle tires cost less too.

Baffled by these prices.

Cheers

Maybe it's the gold...
https://ca.ciclimattio.com/s/sram/xg...=24405&m=38877

FWIW, MEC isn't usually the place with the best prices for bikes. For
their own brands maybe but my LBS has pretty much the same price as MEC
for most parts.