Old April 21st 17, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Minicab driver who ran over cyclist whilst distracted on mobilephone spared jail

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 13:19:59 +0100, Bod wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 13:05:18 +0100, Bod wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:55:01 +0100, Bod wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:57:41 +0100, Bod
wrote:

*How was this not "careless driving"*?

Abdelyekini Olafusi was found guilty of careless driving after
he ran
down the woman in Clerkenwell.

Olafusi clipped the back of the 41-year-old cyclist’s wheel when he
turned right at traffic lights on Gray's Inn Road on May 27.

The cyclist, an Italian woman, fell off her bike to the ground but
Olafusi did not stop and continued to drive over her.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-a3519751.html

If he'd clipped a car, there would have been a small dent and some
paintwork required. Bicycles are for paths, not roads.

Reality check! He *didn't* clip a car and the cyclist was *legally
allowed* to be on the road.
Try sticking to the facts rather than your personal desires.

He clipped a bicycle which is inherently unstable, therefore
unsuitable
to mix with larger vehicles.

Funny that I've been cycling on roads for about 60 years with no
problems whatsoever as have millions of other cyclists.

Some do, some don't. It depends whether you wobble about and cycle in
the middle of the road like some in here. I cycle on the left, and if I
need to turn right, I look over my shoulder, then indicate, then move
over. But if there's a pavement available, I'll use that. Easier for
me and the drivers.

So you DO cycle in the road sometimes then, hypocrite.

Only when necessary. Usually there's a pavement or an alternate offroad
track. I also watch where I'm going and don't occupy the whole bloody
lane. The cyclist in the above was no doubt weaving around or not
bothering to indicate before swerving in front of the car.

How on earth do you know that!?