Old July 17th 17, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

On 2017-07-16 16:13, David Scheidt wrote:
Joerg wrote:
:Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
:Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires. Expensive at
:around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of 1/10" or
:so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they hiss
:through and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Perhaps learn to patch better? I have tubes with three inch tears
that have been repaired with (many, many) Rema F1 patches. They hold
in tires running from 30 to 100 psi, for years. Rema also make some
bigger patches, but I don't know if you can buy them except one at a
time in a kit.

the trick is to sand the tube until it's rough, apply fluid, let it
dry (you can't wait too long...) apply the patch, rub it firmly in
place. If you have multiple non-overlapping patches, you can put them
on at the same time. When you need to overlap, sand again, apply
fluid, let dry, etc...

I know how to fix a tire. It's the patch itself that becomes brittle
over the fixed tear and then begins a slow leak at that spot. A leak
through the patch itself. Possibly the reason is that my tubes have
0.120" or 3mm wall thickness so compared to the patch they are totally
stiff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/