Old April 24th 17, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default torque wrench issues

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:04:21 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 09:43:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

In 1969 Crafstman were USA forged (by SK if I recall) but
that's all changed now. We use a lot of Snap On which is
deathly expensive but well worth the price for heavily used
items.

The Craftsman brand is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)
Who owns which tool companies might be useful:
http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

I recently bought a Craftsman 10 pc 3/8" drive metric socket wrench
set #934554. The box was sealed closed, so I couldn't inspect it
before buying. I wouldn't have bought it had I seen it in advance:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-6-pt-3-8-in-standard/p-00934553000P
It works, but the design, finish, and overall quality are seriously
lacking. However, it was only $10 (on sale), so I can't really
complain.

And that is exactly the point. "Cheap" sells.

Harbor Freight started as a guy who imported a container full of cheap
Chinese tools and sold them out of his garage. Walmart, the largest
retailer in the world, I believe, sells cheap stuff. Way back when,
both Volkswagen and the Japanese cars sold because they were cheap.

Grin and bear it, "cheap" is desirable :-)

Incidentally, it still says "Lifetime Warranty" on the label. Now all
I have to do is determine which lifetime warranty:
https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information