Old July 18th 17, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

On 2017-07-17 17:48, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 16:29:12 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-07-17 07:36, wrote:
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:50:00 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:40:27 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Order some larger patches?
http://www.gemplers.com/tube-repair

I dunno about that. Something like this 2" x 6" patch?
http://www.gemplers.com/product/9D/Rema-6L-x-2W-Oval-Tube-Patch
It requires cold vulcanizing fluid 7A or G50T.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/7A
http://www.gemplers.com/product/G50T
At 10 patches for $25 plus chemicals, talc, shipping, and taxes,
methinks using $5 Canadian polymer banknotes might be cheaper.

Notice that the instructions at:
http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tube-repair.htm
are for an automobile tire inner tube. For bicycle tubes, methinks it
might be best to apply the rather large patch on a rounded mandrel
with a diameter slightly smaller than the bicycle tire, instead of the
traditional flat surface. That should prevent any wrinkling,
stretching, or excess tension on the patch when installed and
inflated.

Has my memory gotten that bad or wasn't the point of this discussion about tears in the sidewalls of tires and not large tears in tubes?

About tears in the tube caused by side wall failures. Meaning they
aren't punctures but slits. Not a problem to fix a thin tube but with
thick tubes the patch then becomes the weakest member of the stack-up
... and eventually fails. The failure is probably because of the
inevitable movement in the rubber while riding.

Recently I saw some things in the LBS that appeared to be "tire
liners" I guess you might call them. I didn't enquire but looking at
them in the packaging they seem to be about the width of a flattened
out tire carcass. The packaging said something like "never have
another flat".

Something like
https://www.amazon.com/STOP-Flats2-M.../dp/B0026R9DLM
also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5iKj_cGH2Y
or maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_phPq3uzUtU

Does any of that help prevent flats?

They sure do. I my area I would never ride a MTB any farther than a few
miles without tire liners. I have thick tubes plus liners. The main
reason is this stuff:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...idum_seeds.jpg

On the road bike only thick tubes and puncture-resisting tires which
have this sort of liner built in (well, a thinner one).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/