Old November 26th 03, 11:42 AM
Ed Chait

Default "Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
It looks like the fella behind this CVT hydraulic bike is trying to
raise some capital by selling off his prototype:

http://www.powerengine.com

Some people insist we want CVT, but hydraulically driven vehicles have
always had it available and are still rather uncommon. For instance,
Hondamatic motorcycles never caught on, though their system seemed to
work as intended. I'm unconvinced that it's really as desirable as
its proponents say.

The 750cc Honda with the CVT transmission was a dog. If I recall correctly,
it produced about half the horsepower at the rear wheel that the regular
model did.

Not many people are willing to buy a 750cc bike that performs like a 250.
Another issue against it was that the motorcycle community, with it's higher
than average level of machismo posturing, did not warm up to the
introduction of something as un-manly as a full-sized automatic motorcycle.

Ed Chait