Old February 6th 20, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bridge lane

On 2020-02-03 14:19, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

There are only two bridges left without protected bike lanes now. The
San Mateo Bridge and the Carquinez Straits bridge.

I've never seen a cyclist on the Carquinez Bridge. That sounds like a
suicide mission to me, like this section on I-5:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2...ream/lightbox/

Have you tried cycling the Carquinez Bridge?

That is a scary bridge, but that's the wrong bridge. Carquinez Bridge is across the Carquinez Straights in the north Bay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carquinez_Bridge The photo is the I-5 Pitt River Bridge over Lake Shasta. https://tinyurl.com/yx5tsb4w It's posted for bicycles, and I've seen cycle tourists on it once. I've been over it maybe 20 times or more commuting from Oregon to California. I thought the cyclists were nuts, but I think its the only option for getting over the lake.

I've ridden from Bay Area California to Oregon three times, but always on the coast. Way easier -- coming north through the Siskiyous would mean two solid days of climbing, a nasty climb over Ashland Pass, a brief respite in Ashland/Medford and then back into the mountains for a day or more before hitting the Willamette Valley. It's brutal in a car. Interestingly, in Oregon, you can ride on I-5 except in designated areas in cities.

-- Jay Beattie.