Old February 6th 20, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bridge lane

On 2020-02-03 14:19, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

There are only two bridges left without protected bike lanes now.
The San Mateo Bridge and the Carquinez Straits bridge.

I've never seen a cyclist on the Carquinez Bridge. That sounds like
a suicide mission to me, like this section on I-5:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/2...ream/lightbox/

Have you tried cycling the Carquinez Bridge?

That is a scary bridge, but that's the wrong bridge. Carquinez
Bridge is across the Carquinez Straights in the north Bay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carquinez_Bridge

That is the Carquinez bridge I meant. AFAIK you'd have to be on the
freeway and, worse, in a lane to cycle that. Death waiting to happen.

Even in a car I don't like anything south of the Carquinez Bridge. It's
a rat race down there, everybody seems to be in a hurry all the time.
Whenever I cross that bridge on the way home and reach it northern end I
take a deep breath. Due to conference services such as Zoom I didn't
have to go in a whole year and I am really thankful for that.

... The photo is the I-5
Pitt River Bridge over Lake Shasta. https://tinyurl.com/yx5tsb4w
It's posted for bicycles, and I've seen cycle tourists on it once.
I've been over it maybe 20 times or more commuting from Oregon to
California. I thought the cyclists were nuts, but I think its the
only option for getting over the lake.

I'd rather buy an inflatable kayak and cross the lake with the bike
strapped up front. Or cycle around.

I've ridden from Bay Area California to Oregon three times, but
always on the coast. Way easier -- coming north through the
Siskiyous would mean two solid days of climbing, a nasty climb over
Ashland Pass, a brief respite in Ashland/Medford and then back into
the mountains for a day or more before hitting the Willamette Valley.
It's brutal in a car. Interestingly, in Oregon, you can ride on I-5
except in designated areas in cities.

I try hard to avoid roads. It's not that I don't use roads but I do not
enjoy cycling there. Too many close passes at high speed.

This has an impact on which businesses I and my friends patronize. If
only reachable via many miles of nasty roads we don't go there. Same if
they don't let us take the bikes inside or park and lock them in a place
where we can see them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/