Old February 11th 21, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Default Garmin Speed sensor

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 10 februari 2021 om 18:40:04 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
I have a Garmin 910xt that I use for the bike of course GPS keeps track
of my speed. I decided to get the rear speed sensor that goes around the
rear hub and should come today. So I realize that indoors it makes sense
but what about using it outdoors with the GPS. My understanding is the
speed sensor will overrule the GPS speed data. My years of using this it
is pretty much dead accurate for distance so speed should be deadly
accurate. I have done many long rides and hit the same mileage marks
almost within 10-50 feet for 20-40 miles.

I also bought the cadence sensor and have never used a cadence sensor
figuring I can count my cadence anytime I want. So do any of the group
use a speed sensor when riding outdoors? I guess you can hook it up with
Zwift but I have never used Zwift don't see the benefit as long as I
know my speed on and heart rate on the trainer. I have a cateye at the
moment set up for the back wheel on my trainer bike. I give this garmin
a go. Some how Zwift measures power but I cannot figure out how that
could be anything more than an educated guess.
Deacon Mark............in the very cold midwest

The GPS distance is OK accurate. The speed based on GPS sucks big time.
It goes from 30 km/hr to 25 km/hr and back and forth within seconds. I
don't know what algorithm Garmin uses but it is crap. My Wahoo does a
better job but not as accurate as a speed sensor. I use always a
separate speed sensor when outside and yes it overrules the GPS speed
which wasn't the case a couple of years ago which I never understood and
I complained about that. Ala Garmin doesn't employ the best software people....

Lou

+1