Old February 11th 21, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Default Garmin Speed sensor

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 10 februari 2021 om 21:35:51 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 1:31:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Op woensdag 10 februari 2021 om 18:40:04 UTC+1 schreef Mark cleary:
I have a Garmin 910xt that I use for the bike of course GPS keeps
track of my speed. I decided to get the rear speed sensor that goes
around the rear hub and should come today. So I realize that indoors
it makes sense but what about using it outdoors with the GPS. My
understanding is the speed sensor will overrule the GPS speed data. My
years of using this it is pretty much dead accurate for distance so
speed should be deadly accurate. I have done many long rides and hit
the same mileage marks almost within 10-50 feet for 20-40 miles.

I also bought the cadence sensor and have never used a cadence sensor
figuring I can count my cadence anytime I want. So do any of the group
use a speed sensor when riding outdoors? I guess you can hook it up
with Zwift but I have never used Zwift don't see the benefit as long
as I know my speed on and heart rate on the trainer. I have a cateye
at the moment set up for the back wheel on my trainer bike. I give
this garmin a go. Some how Zwift measures power but I cannot figure
out how that could be anything more than an educated guess.
Deacon Mark............in the very cold midwest
The GPS distance is OK accurate. The speed based on GPS sucks big time.
It goes from 30 km/hr to 25 km/hr and back and forth within seconds. I
don't know what algorithm Garmin uses but it is crap. My Wahoo does a
better job but not as accurate as a speed sensor. I use always a
separate speed sensor when outside and yes it overrules the GPS speed
which wasn't the case a couple of years ago which I never understood
and I complained about that. Ala Garmin doesn't employ the best software people....

Lou

My speed on the GPS seems to be consistent and track pretty even. I also
live in the flatlands that could be another reason. I have always used a
cateye wireless even with the Garmin 910 on the bike. They are almost
deadly consistent with readings never much apart. In fact I did a wheel
roll out on my bike to input the proper wheel diameter for the cateye,
and the margin of error between the GPS and cateye is like 1%. The
overall speed for a 50 mile ride is either the same or possible .1 mph
difference. That is my reluctance to use the sensor outside. I just
hooked it up in the basement and works fine.
Deacon Mark

That is remarkable. I'm a long term Garmin user: Etrex, Edge305, Edge705,
Edge 810 and a Edge1030 and the speed was always crap. For a long time I
didn't care about the speed during the ride so I didn't even had it as a
data field. But on group rides we agree on a max speed so now I have a
speed data field and a speed sensor. I challenge you about the flatness ;-)

Lou

For me it wasn’t flatness but tree cover. The GPS speed would get pretty
crappy. Wheel sensors are much more accurate.