Old July 18th 03, 05:41 AM
Zoot Katz

Default Dogs

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:17:56 -0500,
, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

Actually, the guy just said the word "ammonia," and I assumed (yes, I know) that
it was just ordinary, undiluted household ammonia. You were, though, the first
to use the word "dilute."

Well, his use of "reagent bottle" led me to believe he was thinking
about reagent grade ammonia. Household Ammonia is very much diluted
already.

"Ammonia dissolves readily in water, and advantage can often be taken
of this to remove ammonia from gas process streams by washing.
Solutions of ammonia in water are weakly basic and, as "household
ammonia", find use in domestic cleaning and disinfecting. More
concentrated solutions are used in the chemical laboratory.
Reagent-grade ammonia solutions are colorless. The usual laboratory
concentrated reagent solutions are 28% NH3 by mass; their density is
0.90 kg/L, which corresponds to a 14.8 molar aqueous solution of
ammonia. "

Ammonia is used at dog shows for breaking up fights. Towels are soaked
in concentrated ammonia and thrown over the dogs heads.

If your're going to squirt the dog with anything use tobasco or lemon
juice or vinegar or soy sauce. Might as well start marinating him
because if it bites me, I'll eat the ****er right there.

Here's the original message I responded to:

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Dogs

quoting:

"In that case, the a reagent (squeeze-squirt) bottle filled
with ammonia that I carry came in handy: one good, hard shot
straight into that dog's eyes stopped it cold."

--
zk