Old December 8th 05, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default How much weight is worth saving?

Ken M wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Ken M wrote:

I have been trying to come up with some ways of saving a bit of
weight on my hybrid. I have thought of several ways which ways
should I try? (1) Seat post - currently a suspension model (stock)
weights 530
grams. New / better rigid weights about 250 grams. Easy to change.

(2) Saddle - Currently stock Avenir sport type. Weight 668 grams.
New / better between 200 - 300 grams. Easy to change.

(3) Fork - Currently Suntour suspension model (stock). Weight ?? -
heavy. New / better steel / rigid weight - 1335 grams uncut. Harder
to change must change headset and stem.

What is your opinion?

Keep the hybrid as a hybrid and buy a nice light road bike as a nice
light road bike.

Bill "two cents please" S.

Yeah a nice light road bike is nice but I have a storage issue, I
really only room to store ONE bike. And the last time I was on a road
bike I still had issues with my back pains.

Ah. (Also read your other replies.)

Well, the changes you're considering aren't THAT expensive -- and WILL shave
off quite a bit of weight -- so either go for it (you might need an LBS's
help with the fork swap) or sell your current bike as is and buy a lighter,
nicer "comfort bike" (hybrid or whatever).

If you have back pain issues, how about KEEPING the sus seatpost but get a
rigid fork and lighter saddle? Just a thought (depending on what issues you
have).

Strangely enough, I just put a new saddle on my bike, and my back is killing
me (and I haven't even ridden it yet!). I must have bent over funny while
removing/installing. SIGH...

Bill "old age sucks raw donkey protuberances" S.