Old August 21st 19, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

On 8/20/2019 8:11 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/20/2019 5:55 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 01:39:44 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 04:14:45 UTC-4, John B. SlocombÂ* wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 22:06:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/19/2019 11:54 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 5:35:56 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has
become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the
part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made
of harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

That is a standard "Internal Wrenching Bolt" and is probably
available at your nearest Ace Hardware store in the Metric area.

Tom should go into a specialty fastener store (or just a good hardware
store) and ask for an "Internal Wrenching Bolt."

Please report back on the look on the proprietor's face.

The proper terminologyÂ* is "one of them there thangs" :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

I worked at a mine and one day a guy came into the tool crib and
asked for a part. His description of the part. "The whatcamacallit
that fits on the doohickey that goes on the thingamajig." I was
amazed that the guy in the tool crib handed him the part he needed.
Apparently that part broke frequently.

A lot of times, not knowing the terminology of bicycle things makes
it very difficult for those who'd like to help a person with the
questions.

Cheers

Old car parts guys are/were much the same. You'd walk in the door with
this grotty, broken, dirty, hunk of iron, and the guy would look up
and, from across the room, say "Oh Yes, front steering knuckle on the
1937 pickup". "Charley! There is one on shelf 113/B".
--

Cheers,

John B.

That just happened to me Saturday.Â* "I've looked everywhere for..."

"Simplex 503. $1.95"

Or $199.00 elsewhere, I see:
https://www.ebay.com/i/113775529548

Maybe it wasn't exactly the same?