Old July 25th 03, 02:49 PM
Rick Onanian

Default pudendal nerve problems

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:17:04 -0400, Chris Smith
wrote:
HI All,
First off, I know their'll be a lot of humorous replies to this, can't
stop that.

I'm too lazy to look up "pudendal nerve", so you're in luck. G

I'm a male, 43, just started riding a roadbike for about a month or so, I
tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed slight
numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure the
pudendal nerve. Is it possible to change seat adjustment or something
else to minimize the pressure problem?

Yes. Possible adjustments, in the order I'd guess they'd be effective:

Shorts -- Not wearing proper bike shorts? They're rather comfortable,
and not as embarassing as you think (and you could put loose shorts
over them, or even get loose bike shorts). Get them. Even cheap ones
help -- Dick's Sporting Goods is a chain store that has useful bike
shorts for $30. Better shorts are cheaper on sale at LBS sometimes or
online.

Saddle -- The saddle may just be the wrong shape / materials for
you. Still, instead of blowing money, try adjustments first.

Saddle tilt -- Too far up and it's pushing up; too far down and you
slide forward until your weight is on your crotch on the nose

Handlebar position -- Too low and you bend forward too much, exposing
only your crotch to the saddle. Too high and your back is vertical,
so your crotchtal area is unsupported (unless you wear proper cycling
shorts).

Thanks
Chris

--